Child Custody Law
Custody is often the most sensitive of Divorce and Family Law subjects. Two parents, often at odds over who would better serve the interests of their most prized possession(s); their child(ren).
Barring a peaceful and compromised settlement, emotions often take over leaving the court to determine what is in the best interests of the child(ren). In making this decision the court will consider various factors including:
- The child(ren)s’ ages
- The child(ren)s’ health
- The parents’ respective health
- The parents’ availability to the child(ren)
- The standard of living of the family
- The opinions of the child(ren) if the court considers them old enough and mature enough to give their opinion.
The court can award, or the parties can agree to different types of custodial arrangements such as:
- Joint custody, primary residence with one parent (when the child(ren) primarily reside with one parent, subject to the visitation rights of the other parent but both parties are involved in decision making)
- Shared physical custody (when the child(ren) reside(s) with each parent approximately half of the time)
- Sole legal custody (when the child(ren) not only reside(s) primarily with one parent but that same parent also is empowered to make the sole decisions on major issues such as medical, religion and education)
- Joint legal custody (where the parties are expected to work together to make major decisions affecting the child(ren) as if they were still married with neither party having a greater say on any given issue).
In any case, child custody is an extremely sensitive, complex, important and, potentially life changing issue. Steven E. Shumer, Heath S. Berger and the legal team at Berger, Fischoff & Shumer, LLP, have the ability to assist you and represent your interests with knowledge and confidence, while being sensitive and attentive to your needs and those of your child(ren). Please contact us for a free consultation.
The matrimonial team of Steven E. Shumer and Heath S. Berger, along with their experienced support staff, are here to help you.
Experienced Legal Representation That You Can Afford!!!